Thursday, April 06, 2006

OK, so it's not the Simpsons...

I've just stumbled across the trailer for a documentary coming out this summer. An Inconvenient Truth premiered at Sundance this year, and the buzz is rather impressive. (Sorry. I looked around for a non-Moviefone, non-AOL trailer for the movie, but they appear to have the exclusive at the moment.)

It seems a bit odd to get excited about a movie that's bound to be as depressing as hell, but there it is. Perhaps I've yet to give up on the idea that elements of pop culture (movies, for one) can make a critical difference in how ordinary people live and how governments conduct themselves. Perhaps I'm looking for a counterweight to the silliness of The Day After Tomorrow or the sensationalist fuzzy science of the book that "inspired" that movie. Perhaps I just want to see other people as scared about climate change as I am.

Of note: An Inconvenient Truth is a Participant Films production. If I'm naive, so are these guys.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. I know that ole Al has some faults, but I've always really appreciated his willingness to stick to his guns. Perhaps not the best metaphor to use here...still though. I'm looking forward to this.

20:51  
Blogger DirtyBird said...

Well, I'm definitely gonna see it.

And yeah, I admire the Nerd King's tenacity as well - he's the first pol I remember speaking publicly about climate change.

Sad thing is, the Fox News crowd will use his presence as an excuse to ignore the truths of the film, 'cause it'd be inconvenient for them to, you know, actually think about them.

23:35  
Blogger Agienne!!! said...

There are a couple films on Partcipant's site I'd also like to see.
When I was 9 years old, I dreamed of watching a documentary called "Murderball" and now it can come true.
And it looks like they're making a Fast Food Nation doc. Cool! I need something to cleanse my system of the "Super Size Me" diarrhea.*


* "Wash away the bad taste of" or "able to stomach" would have been a more appropriate metaphor for that statement. But I love diarrhea jokes.

12:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home