Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Look at me -- I'm incredulous!

The work I'm doing today caused me to run into some primo-grade bullshit. I'm looking for old polygraph examiners, all of whom "examined" one of my clients a few years back. A good shortcut for a lot of professions is to head over to WA's department of licensing, find the correct regulatory agency, and find out whether homeboy still has a license.

Homeboy. I talk just as hip as a middle school gym teacher.

Anyhoo, it was in the course of my DOL digging that I found WA has no regulatory agency in charge of polygraph examiners. What that means is you don't need to be licensed by the state if you want to be a polygraph examiner.

Now, if you want to massage animals, you need a license. If you want to be an egg dealer, you need a license. If you want to be a geologist, a hulk hauler, a snowmobile dealer, or a wrestling tournament judge, you need a license.

While the voodoo that is polygraphy isn't admissable in court, a bad polygraph can give somebody a ShitPile of trouble. Criminal cases are plea bargained based on polygraphs. Probation is revoked based on polygraphs. Hiring decisions for local, state and federal agencies are made based on polygraphs. Since 9/11, polygraphy is practically our national past time.

Not only is polygraphy based on specious science, in Washington it's less-regulated than the transportation and sale of chicken eggs. Fuckin' A, man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home